Monday, March 23, 2009

Does it really matter?

I never thought I would be one to blog about this - or consider it for that reason. Garrett was out of town this past weekend on a "Jeeping trip" in Gilmer, TX. I had a relaxing weekend at home but did miss him which makes me wonder how I ever cut it as a Navy wife... that's for another time though.

I called one of my best friend's Bridget and asked if I could go to church with them on Sunday. She was so excited to have Garrison and I come visit. Garrison and her son Tanner are best buds! Let me give y'all some background. I am born and raised Episcopalian (Anglican - don't ask) and I have an unshakeable faith. My entire (or mostly) family is Anglican, my sister is a youth director, my uncle is a priest... the list goes on and on. I LOVE the sacraments, the tradition, the reverance that is involved with the church. However, Garrett and I have been trying to find a church home for the last 6 years of our marriage. He comes from a Mormon background. He was baptized as a Christian about 7 years ago. We have probably visited 15 churches (some in other states) and still have not found the right fit for us. For a while we went to my "home church" (my parents' church) and it just wasn't the right fit. While I love the traditionalism (is that a word?) of the Anglican church I CRAVE to be spiritually fed. I don't have to have contemporary music necessarily (although I do love it) but let's face it for you Anglicans/Catholics out there... we don't bring our bibles to church, there is not an overwhelming focus on the youth, etc etc. I really thought Sunday would just be a great time to sing and have a "feel good" kind of Sunday. But I really felt the Holy Spirit while at the Baptist church... who knew?? Just kidding. But really, I felt like it could be a great fit for our family. I started thinking I was crazy becuase here I am this traditional Anglo Catholic girl and now I'm thinking of going to a BAPTIST CHURCH??? After discussing with my sister and parents it was brought up, "Does it really matter?" And the answer (in my opinion) is NO it does not. Who cares if we go to a Catholic, Episcopalian (conservative), Anglican, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Methodist, or Baptist church??? So after much prayer I discussed it with Garrett when he got home and we are going to go visit as a family next Sunday. Prayers for us in our journey to find a new church home are much appreciated in this time. That's all I have for today.

Oh, we had a great time at Disney on Ice. Here is a picture of me and Garrison:



And one of Best Buds Garrison and Tanner:



Jewels*


2 comments:

  1. I completely understand what you're saying. And no -- I don't think it matters whether you continue to be a part of the denomination you grew up in. I think it's more important to find a place where you can grow (both independently and as a family), take part in ministry, and feel comfortable with the worship style.

    Just my two cents! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juliana -- I'm actually a double-church girl, myself. I go to a Bible church on Sundays with my husband. He's Baptist, and just couldn't make the LEAP to a liturgical church. Before we went to the Bible church (Grace Bible church, on Inwood and Northaven), we went to a Christian church in Keller. But the Bible Church has FED me SO much! I'm in love with it because I get such good teaching there, and the people are amazing Christians. But I'm also still a practicing Anglican. I go to St. Luke's on Thursdays for Eucharist, I'm active in the Order of St. Luke, and of course in Cursillo. I have to say I'm more active at Grace than I am at St. Luke's, because it's nearly impossible to active in both. But I love them both VERY much. AND I think God can use me in both places... to help build bridges and to fill needs that one particular expression of faith can't do alone. So I feel very blessed to be "ecumenical." AND I know that God will bless you and use you WHEREVER you are, because you have a light that's going to shine no matter what!

    ReplyDelete