Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Who would enjoy Motherhood???

I was reading my friend Katy's blog: http://bagochocolates.blogspot.com/ and it really got me thinking. She was posting her thoughts on her friend's blog regarding having kids and pregnancy. After my night last night I can see why people could look at my life on the surface and wonder why it is that I would ever choose to be a mom. I know that sounds harsh but look at the facts: I got home and immediately helped Garrett wrap up a paper that was due and as he rushed out the door to take his first final for college I was left with a sick child and lots to do. Garrison has had a sinus infection for a couple days now. I have to give him credit and say he is the best sick kid ever! I decided to tackle the chore of cleaning out all his clothes - yes his closet and drawers are still filled with clothes from birth on up to 3! So as I'm about 2 hours into this (juggling him and responding to his, "Watch Mommy!" "Look Mommy... Mommy are you looking?" over and over and over and over) Tex (my dog) throws up on the floor. So I start cleaning up Tex's puke and about 5 minutes later when all rags and cleaner are back in the cabinet Garrison coughs until he throws up on the floor. I proceed to clean that up while helping him change and scooting the dogs outside so they don't lick it up - what can I say, they're dogs! I finally finish going through the clothes. Onto laundry and dinner for Garrison. Catch up with my sister on the phone for about 5 minutes (must have been the only time I sat down all night), get Garrison ready for bed, read him a book, he's down. Garrett calls on his way home from school and starts asking me questions about the checkbook - didn't you know I was the "finance" girl too? Start on dinner and we eat at 9:00. Get up after 15 min of eating and finish laundry. Make lunches for the next day, clean out the dog's ears due to his most recent ear infection, get ready for bed, and in bed at 11:00. Garrison cries twice in the night - bad dreams. Whew.... WHO would choose this for a life? I would. Why? Because at the end of the night when we say prayers before bed and my little boy asks me to sing him Amazing Grace as his sweet and sometimes off key 3 year old voice joins in with me and then asks for "one more hug and kiss" and tells me he loves me... it makes it all worth it. Hugs from out of the blue, a million random I love you's , laughter with my husband and my son, a happy family, a home filled with unconditional love, knowing that we are doing something right to shape this child into the man he will one day become - that makes it worth it! Motherhood may not be easy and it may not always be fun, but God has managed to give me the patience, unconditional love, and those little "snippits" of what makes it all worth while! :) If you are blessed enough to have a child, please enjoy all the time you have with them because they grow up way too quick! I will leave you with a picture of the two greatest loves of my life and one of those sweet moments I was lucky enough to capture.


2 comments:

  1. I feel the exact same way!!!! 3 days of a sick child, laundry, also going to once upon a child to give good clothes to a good cause, christmas shopping, giving the husband a good meal and being a good wife too *wink wink* hahaha...who could do it except us super hero moms?? :) Love you Jewelz! Motherhood is the best thing I've done so far! Wouldn't trade it for anything :)

    ReplyDelete